Cardiff Youth Council (CYC) is Cardiff’s official network for young people aged 11-25, advocating for positive change across the city. The CYC meet monthly and work on priorities that are set out by young people from across the city. Young people also choose to be part of additional sub groups which meet outside of the main meeting, with an aim to make Cardiff a better place for young people to live, work and play.
Membership is open to all, however there are 5 elected positions which take place annually or bi-annually.
- Chair of CYC – elected annually
- Vice Chair of CYC – elected annually
- Member of UK Youth Parliament (MYP) 1 – elected bi-annually
- Member of UK Youth Parliament (MYP) 2 – elected bi-annually
- Chair of CYC Reformation Group – elected annually
‘Being a member of the Cardiff Youth Council has been an incredible experience, and I can look back at myself two years ago and say for certain that I am a far more confident and social person than I used to be, and have learnt so much from everyone around me. It has been a genuinely life changing experience, which I will always remember fondly.’
Executive meetings – all elected members attend and plan CYC meetings, vote for recommendations, meet with other agencies and council departments, and make applications for opportunities such as international Youth Exchanges and conferences.
- CYC General Meetings – all CYC members attend and work on the following; Debate and vote on motions, get involved in campaigns, develop work, debate and decide on opportunities.
- Reformation Meetings - Evaluate all aspects of the youth council and run development days to see where things are working well and where improvements or changes need to occur.
- Priority Subgroup Meetings - look at priorities and work on campaigns.
All meetings listed above are planned and run by young people.
Due to the current situation with COVID-19, all CYC meetings have been moved online. We will keep you updated as and when we receive further information.
CYC work on 3 priorities each year and split into 3 working groups, each campaigning on one of the priorities. This can entail running surveys, consultations, workshops, inspections and many other areas of work. A number of digital outputs have been developed over the years such as:
- MindHub - a one stop shop website aimed at young people’s mental health and wellbeing
- Democracy infomercial – used as part of the iSay Programme
- Tools4Life – a one stop shop website aimed at PSE for use by both adults and young people
- Various UNCRC and rights videos
- Cardiff Youth Council website
- Shout Out newsletter
- UN Celebration video
- Work experience video
If you would like to join CYC or find out more information, get in touch through either social media, email, or phone. You can also Visit the Cardiff Youth Council website. Details can be found below.